Once in a while I realize we have an abundance of bread in
the house. With three kids and a husband
who eat sandwiches each week this this doesn’t happen often, but when it does,
I know just how to use it up!
Baked French Toast!
Reasons I bake my French toast vs. making it the traditional
way.
1.
I suck at
making French toast.
2.
Everyone’s food is hot at the same time this
way.
That’s it, those are my lame reasons.
Now I’m sure I don’t need a disclaimer here, but if you’re
wondering, this is NOT a Trim Healthy Mama meal, but it is one that my family
loves, and that I delight in serving for brunch or breakfast when we have
company for those meals.
It warms the soul, fills the belly, and leaves everyone smiling. You’ve gotta keep some recipes like that in
with your arsenal of kitchen tricks. It’s
in the housewife’s rule book. Sorry I
can’t remember the page number, but I’m
sure it’s in there.
It’s good y’all. I
promise you!
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
First you melt the butter and brown sugar.
Cook it low & slow, so it doesn't burn, and because it makes the clean up easier
It'll begin to look like this.
Spread that mixture in a 9x13 pan & add a layer of bread over it.
Mix up your milk, eggs and vanilla.
Get it good and soupy like.
Pour part of that over the first layer of bread.
Add another layer of bread.
Pour the rest of the milk/egg/vanilla mixture on the top of
it all.
Layering is the trick here.
|
|
Cover the top of your pan with foil.
Bake it for 45 minutes!
(remove the foil for about the last 15 minutes, to help it brown up a bit).
Here are some things you can do while you wait for this yummy goodness to
cook:
| Unload the dishwasher |
| Or commission a kid to do it. :) |
| Kindly ask that same kid to get the dishes ready. |
| Stare at the oven about a hundred times. Glance more often as the aroma fills the house and you wonder if the eggs are still raw, or if you could just snatch one tiny little bite. |
| Admire your kids coloring so well together. Then gently scold the youngest for laying on the table, and the oldest for sitting in a booster seat! haha. |
|
When it’s time to dish up, flip each piece of French toast
upside down on the plates. It looks more
impressive that way. Enjoy!
|
The condensed version- AKA- The part where you can highlight
and click “print selection” on without all the mumbo jumbo.
The
condensed version- AKA- The part where you can highlight and click “print
selection” on without all the mumbo jumbo.
A Slightly Better Wife’s Baked French Toast.
·
1 Stick Butter
·
1 C. Brown Sugar
·
about 12 pieces of bread
·
4 Eggs
·
1 ½ C. Milk
·
1 splash of vanilla
Preheat the
oven to 350 degrees.
Melt and mix
the Butter and Brown Sugar together.
Spread that
mixture into the bottom of a 9x13.
Put a layer
of bread over that.
Mix Eggs,
Milk and Vanilla together. Pour half of
that over the first layer of bread.
Add another
layer of bread.
Pour the
remaining mixture over the second layer of bread.
Cover the
pan with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
(30 covered, last 15 uncovered).
Remember to
flip each piece upside down to serve it.
Enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer
Thank you for the L♥VE!