Random thoughts that ran through my head this morning:
Sitting in church and my 7 year old boy leans over and
snuggles up to me. He’s tired. I’m not sure he’s listening, but he isn’t
being disruptive to anyone else (but me) so I put my arm around him and hold
him. It’s what he needed. His father, my husband, would’ve abruptly
told him to sit up and pay attention. That
wouldn’t have been wrong either.
You could say we’re a good balance that way, or that we’re just
confusing the poor boy because he doesn’t know which of us is right, or who to
listen to. Regardless, this is what
happened today.
Two pews ahead I see a mom next to her high school aged
boy. He’s sitting tall, attentively listening
to the pastor. I can tell because when
the pastor moves, his head moves to follow him.
At first I feel a touch of jealousy. What’s she doing right, that I’m doing
wrong? Her son is surely making her
proud.
Then I realize, this is just the stage I’m in. My 12 year old was sitting just as well as
the high school boy. Listening well,
following along. This skill will come
for my 7 year old too.
One thing I’ve been working on for some time now is just
embracing my story. It was our MOPS
theme last year and I didn’t quite get a handle on it the way I should have. I am trying to be thankful for this stage,
right here and now.
I saw a couple tired moms with babies in church, and my heart
ached for them. My heart ached for me
too. It wasn’t that long ago that I was
the mom swaying side to side in the back of the church rocking my little baby,
feeling like I was missing out. Wondering
why got dressed for this and longing to go home, because it was just easier
there.
Now my “baby” is two,
and rarely needs rocked or shushed. I
should’ve embraced that stage, rather than crying as I rocked my baby in the
church nursery rocking chair, wishing those days away. Shame on me, it was a beautiful stage of bonding.
She was learning to trust me, and I couldn’t just fully enjoy it. Hindsight is 20/20.
So my message to you, dear momma, is EMBRACE THIS STAGE. Whatever
it is you’re going through, whether this is about you, your kids, or your marriage. Own
your story. Yes, just embrace
it. Work to improve it, because without
a struggle, you won’t find your strength.
No matter how bad it is for you right now, please don’t wish these days away.
And if your church offers it- don’t be afraid to use that
nursery! Embracing your story and
enjoying this stage doesn’t mean you have to do this all alone. Don’t be afraid to ask a neighbor to watch
your littles for an hour so you can have a little break. Life is better when we do it together, and
when we do it well rested and refreshed.
♥
There is more to be learned in the embracing of the moment, than in all the reflecting after. I'm so glad you are learning that. <3
ReplyDelete