While you're reading my blog today, I hope you'll take a few minutes to learn this song, it's my favorite right now.
The black Friday ads in this house have been..... RECYCLED!
We've decided with both sides of our families that basically we aren't buying/exchanging gifts, and I sure hope we don't change our minds!
I LOVE the thrill of getting a good deal, but sometimes I wonder, is it really a good deal. Most things I probably would've passed on it anyway.
We're a one income family. This is a choice we've made so I am able to stay home with our children. I wouldn't give it up for anything in the world, but I can tell you that the reality of it is really hard. Especially around the holidays.
It's hard to be frugal and live within our means when these toy catalogs come out, or Kitchen aid mixers hit rock bottom prices. Or, like this whole past week I've been researching waffle makers.
Why do I want a waffle maker you might ask? Or you might not, because you just kind of figure I'll make waffles with it. Duh!
I had one for YEARS, used it only once or twice. The waffles stuck like crazy they came out in pieces and I was ticked off with the whole thing. So (by my choice) it disappeared from our house. But yet again, I feel like I need another one, a better one. Ours was pre-loved and several years old by the time we started using it.
This is so ridiculous. I've even gone to stores with the intent of buying one. I know It would be used more than the last one, but still not enough to spend $30 on another kitchen gadget. I mean I do like pancakes just as well, right? (maybe not.. there is something to be said for a delicious Belgian waffle covered in maple syrup)
Here I am again... feeling discontent. About a waffle maker.. This is so not even worth it.
I think being content is something I have to learn.
Oh & since this blog is about being a better wife, I'll mention my husband too :-) He said go ahead and by the waffle maker, isn't he so sweet :-) He says that to everything I bring to him for discussion. He is so good to me. For now, I'm going to keep looking but know that it's not something I need.
On another topic- I've been thinking of what I'll say for a Thanksgiving prayer, and I keep feeling like God has provided for us in so many ways. I want to really express that, but the words aren't totally there yet. It baffles me, I mean just the fact that we are able to survive on one income, that we have never had to skip a meal, that our children are happy and our house is warm. & not only are we provided for, but we always have more than enough for each day. Thank you God for blessing our family.
God just amazes me. Our God is simply amazing. SO very amazing.
If you don't mind, I'd be delighted to bless you with a waffle maker. It's a nice one, Cuisinart I think. In the box. Unloved. It was used once... maybe.
ReplyDeleteI thought you were going to talk turkey. Literally. Talking you through the steps of getting that turkey in the oven today was the highlight of my day! So funny! BTW we had a waffle maker once too. Now I am hungry for waffles, I prefer waffles 10 to 1 over pancakes anyday!
ReplyDeleteCourtney, for real? I would LOVE, love, love that! You are so awesome! Any baby news yet? (like you'd be here if there were baby news... but I'm asking anyway) I feel like I've been totally stalking your FB page. Are you progressing at all?
ReplyDeleteMom- That turkey FREAKED me out. I was not thrilled about touching the raw bird, but, I was thrilled about eating it once it was cooked. Supper tonight was delicious. We did Turkey, corn, chocolate/banana/milk smoothies & poor folk cinnamon rolls. I'm looking forward to having everyone here Thursday and making some even better goodies!
We also have a waffle maker that we don't use. But the reason we don't use it is b/c it is non-stick (ew), and it has some scratches that leave black stuff on the waffles. So I can't in good conscience make waffles on that thing for my family. And I can't in good conscience give it away to anyone... (Here, have some carcinogens!) So... it just sits up high in a cupboard. Why don't I just throw it away? B/c I feel guilty putting large things in a landfill. Instead, it is things like this that will make my home like a landfill! augh!
ReplyDeletep.s. Those darn toy catalogs. They go straight to the recycling at our house, too. I used to let Jonah look at them, until he discovered that the toys could actually be bought, ordered, and delivered to our home. Then his comments of, "That looks fun!" turned into, "I want that one!" blech.
Jessa, I totally understand! You were so wise to tell me about the black gunk coming off of non-stick pans. I now have a new stainless steel pot from IKEA that I LOVE! I too didn't want to throw the old one away, so Chad used it to catch anti-freeze from his car. In the spring I'll use it as a flower pot.. No luck doing that with a waffle maker though.
ReplyDelete(Personally, I would pitch it)
Toy catalogs are usually my weakness. I mean they are fun to look at, and can entertain kids (and adults) for such a long time. But in the long run, they're pretty useless. That IKEA catalog probably is too, but I can't seem to give it up! :)