This post contains affiliate links.
This was the second year that I was asked to lead classroom of kids. I had a good amount of excuses as to why I couldn't make it work. Like how much I sweat when working with a room full of kids... I chose to keep that info to myself and volunteered for the position anyway.
My oldest daughter was able to tag along as a helper this year. It's so cool to see her interacting with the kids. She's such a natural teacher! I like to think she gets that from me. :)
Story time is FUN!
You see, the kids get dropped off and get to play games, eat snacks, hear a story, go to music class, and pick their own books/movies to check out. The parents get to go do whatever they'd like for an hour, knowing their kiddos are safe in the care of the church. It's a win-win!
Being a "teacher" at the story hour has its perks too:
- I get to see the kids come in just eager as can be to hear God's word.
- The kids and I play guessing games about what the snack will be. Hey, it's more fun than you'd think!
- I see the kids taking such pride in the books they pick out.
- The little kids give the best high-fives and smiles.
- I get to be goofy and they never tell me I'm not acting my age.
- I witness Jesus' heart through the children, and see them grow in Christ.
- Did I mention there are snacks?! And they're prepared by the sweetest church ladies. Church ladies have some sort of magic goin' on in the kitchen, because they bring out these delicious desserts and the kitchen still looks spotless the whole time. What's their secret?
- I get to see the parents/grandparents come back to get the kids looking much less frazzled than when they dropped the kids off. It's very satisfying.
- My kids never say they're bored there!
One of our story tellers this year brought the book titled The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings to read to the kids. She said it was a favorite of her kids when they were little. After hearing her read it, it's a favorite of mine too!
This is my affiliate link, you can read about that here.
As a mom, I'm always looking for ways to teach my children, ages 2-12 how to count their blessings, and what to look for in a blessing. We each keep a thankful or gratitude journal where we jot down the things we're thankful for. This book is a great place to start introducing the topic of being thankful.
One LUCKY reader will get their very own copy of The Berenstain Bears Count Their Blessings shipped right to their door.
Great post! The kids are lucky to have you read to them.
ReplyDeleteYour heart, on display. Beautiful.
ReplyDeleteMy healthy daughter
ReplyDelete