Last night after my Author and Blogger Meet & Greet, we were visiting the Boy Scout's Snack Shack up at the courthouse square. This is a part of our town's yearly celebration.
We've never made it to this event in the past, which totally has to change because their taco burger was amazzzzzing.
There had been short spells of rain off and on, but we chanced it and went anyway. We happened to be standing right by the big white food tent when along came another little down pour. We all huddled under the tent and within a few minutes it was over.
A woman was standing next to us talking to my 2 year old. She asked her something like "What do you think of this rain?" Our Free Spirited Girl confident responded with:
"God makes the rain!"
Okay we've known this woman for probably 10 years, AND she goes to our church, but I still got embarrassed about my toddler's outburst of praise.
I don't know why. I should've just been proud of her. Mr. Awesome was. We talked about it later that night after the kids went to bed and I said I don't know why it made me uncomfortable. I mean the lady right away acknowledge "Yes, God does make the rain", and talked to our little Spunky about what the rain is good for.
I think I've just had so many confrontations about religion and feel like I always have to defend my self for being a Christian . So I have started to pull back some of that evangelism.
The day before this happened, we sent a letter off to a neighbor boy who joined the army. I wanted to include some encouraging verses in the letter about how God goes before us, about being courageous, about being strong. But my pen froze. Darn it. I was writing on a postcard and was nervous about who would see it, and what they would think.
Just this morning I was teaching story hour at the church and I asked the kids if anyone wanted to lead us in prayer, thanking God for this day and our time together. I expected nothing from them and planned to lead the prayer myself. Instead I got a sweet blond haired girl who spoke assertively, "I would like to pray, please". She bowed her head and prayed loud, and with such unshakeable confidence. I don't often even hear adults pray with that sort of strength in their voice.
I've frequently quoted, or maybe misquoted, the phrase:
"without my struggle I wouldn't find my strength"
This is another one of those times I can step back, examine myself and my struggle, and learn from my children yet again.
We have the right to free speech, and the power to spread the Good News. We are sharing goodness and truth, there is no need to be apprehensive about that, right?
Yes Quincey, that is right. There is no need to be apprehensive about it. I understand your struggle though. The thief spoke of in John 10:10 wants nothing more than to steal your voice, your confidence, your praise for the Lord. He uses fear of man all the time to stop us. Thank you for sharing your heart and not letting the enemy steal from you.
ReplyDeleteYes there is a reason Jesus tells us to be like children (Matt 18:3) we can learn so much by their boldness and faith.