Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Grandma Dorothy’s Special K Bars


 
I shared on Facebook that Special K Bars are *the* most loved treat on my husband's side, at extended family gatherings. We've been together almost 11 years, and for the first time ever... I was asked to bring them to one of their big shindigs!  Say what!?

 I was worried theyd be rock hard, or down right inedible, as it was my (our) first time ever making them.  Between my husband and I, we made a pretty good batch!  The toddler approved and there werent many left over, so its all good! 

Here is my late MILs recipe.  Now, like usual, I tried to tweak it a little bit, which didnt quite work in my favor, but was okay.  Dont try to add extra cereal like I did, it makes the bottom all crumby.  Also I used light corn syrup-  I think that was fine.  And I used a mixture of chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butterscotch chips for the frosting- because thats what I had on hand, so I just melted it all in the crock pot and it poured it over the top (still tasted good, but different). 


Grandma Dorothy’s Special K Bars

1 C. Dark Syrup (corn syrup)

1 C. Sugar

1 ½ C. Peanut Butter

6 C. Special K Cereal

2 pkgs Milk Chocolate Chips

 

Bring the Corn Syrup and Sugar just about to a boil, to dissolve the sugar.

DON’T LET IT BOIL, or you’ll need a chisel to cut your bars, and a machine to chew them for you. 

Add the Peanut Butter and stir it well.

Add the Special K.

Press this mixture into a greased pan.

Melt the Chocolate Chips and pour over the top as frosting. 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer

Thank you for the L♥VE!