"You guys have the perfect marriage", "
"You guys have so much fun",
"You two really know how to party",
"We
always have so much fun when we get together with you guys"<--{My
Favorite}
Those are statements I USED to hear often. Then we got pregnant. I spent a small part of my pregnancy in bed, crying, and just trying to hang on to my baby. Once that was over I spent the rest of my pregnant days mostly indoors (it was a SCORCHING hot summer). I got out when I could, but I couldn't wait to get back in to the air conditioning and put my feet up!
Once we had our third baby, we spent a year in and out of different hospitals and doctors offices hearing things like "just keep loving on her" (our sweet pediatrician) "she'll be okay but lets keep a close eye on her" (when she broke her arm) "come back in (insert time) weeks, months etc. so we can have another listen" (the cardiologist) and mostly "you're great parents" (from so many nurses).
That last one we hear A LOT.
Most of the time I feel we ARE great parents. Parenting is my passion. Raising the future generation is such an honor. Someday these children will be someone's spouse, and a parent themselves. I'm working hard at this, because I really don't want to screw this up. Parenting with my husband can be kind of difficult. Like when I say "Go to bed" and he says "Who want's to play a game?". haha. But mostly it is an insane amount of fun.
Over the last year my husband and I have let our "circumstances" take over way too much of our lives. We’ve put such an emphasis on our children (this is a good thing, but there needs to be a balance) So much so, that we both craved adult conversation and attention. When we were bored, we found ways to cure the boredom. Separately. That was the problem. Our friendships blossomed, but our marriage wilted.
Being a fun parent comes easy and natural, but being a fun wife, is something I have to work at.
I adore my husband, but I take him for granted much more than I should. Anyone who knows him has nothing but good to say about him. He’s truly terrific. He snatched me up when I was just 18, and has been my best friend and role model ever since.
Last weekend in an effort to be a fun wife, I bought him a green Ninja Turtles shirt to impress our son (see, there I go again with the fun parent thing. The boy got an Iron man costume/shirt, and for 20 minutes I was the coolest mom ever). Anyway- yesterday was St. Patrick’s Day so I gave Mr. Awesome the shirt to wear. While I was cleaning the baby’s room he brought me in a glass of glass of green beer! Yes, it’s really the little things that can start a positive chain reaction.
I need to work hard at this marriage too. Because I refuse to screw this up by letting each day slip by without trying my best.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer
Thank you for the L♥VE!