Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Facebook Fasting: My Personal Account



I'm doing a little experiment right now. 
I kind of got sick of people basing their opinions of me because of what they saw on my Facebook.
 They were mostly all good, that wasn't the problem.  But it's like that's all they knew of me and assumed that's all there was to me. 
Then a friend would say they talked to another friend and they were talking about what I posted on Facebook. I don't want to be fuel for your conversations.  Especially conversations that have no meaning. 


If I posted something controversial or that didn't completely agree with a friends opinions (even if I didn't know their opinion on the topic)  it was automatically about them (I get a lot of inbox messages like this..."I saw what you posted, are we okay?" I've even had people delete me because my opinion on something.  Even family members!...Sometimes I don't even respond to these messages.  People, It's okay to disagree.  Just do it kindly).


Another thing about FB that gets me.  If I hadn't posted that we were doing something then I was probably making it up and we were just staying home- so I might as well be doing whatever they needed me to do because I was "just at home anyway".  don't.go.there.


I also got sick of seeing people copy my posts. Not identically, but the same idea.  Like I post a picture of a dessert, then someone else posts a dessert AND a million reasons why it's healthier, more delicious, from a better restaurant or whatever.  You've got your cake- now eat it!


This probably doesn't make sense to most of you, but to some of you you're nodding your head like "yes, finally someone understands".  I know this because I've heard you mention it or we've talked in depth about it and it drives you crazy too.  But you don't know what to say because, it's just how social media works. 


I never intended to use Facebook as a popularity contest.


 Some how it turned into that for me. 
Like- Okay so I post a scenery picture and it gets 14 likes, but then a friend posts one and theirs gets 24 likes.  Now I'm frowning because A. They copied me.  B. More people liked their picture.
I haven't always felt this way.   And I am not really feeling this way right now. Once I realized it, and thought about "why" it was happening (what the other person was thinking by doing it, their need for attention, etc.), I got over it. 


It's an internal issue some of us have once in awhile and it's dumb. But I just wanted to put it out there so you know, that's why I'm not posting on my Facebook right now.  I just gotta sort out WHY I'm there and what I want out of it. Otherwise it kind of controls me. 


Ps.  No inbox messages asking if we're okay.. This is about me.. and I'm okay. :)  Oh and I copied the picture for this post.  ;-)


Anyone else struggle with what the heck Facebook's purpose is in their life?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer

Thank you for the L♥VE!