Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Skater Boy: Being Cautious is Okay, Being Full of Fear is Not.


Christmas 2014
 
My son got a new skateboard for Christmas, thanks to my brother.  Uncles always buy the gifts that the parents won’t, don't they?  My 7 year old amateur skater has been practicing tricks in the house all winter long. 

All winter I've been saying "I can't wait for him to do these tricks outside". 

Silly me.

Now it's warm enough for him to take the board out on the driveway.  I'm not so sure I'm ready for him to be doing these same tricks on concrete.  The carpet has been giving him a nice landing, I'm afraid the concrete won’t be so kind to his tiny little limbs.
 
At some point, we have to just go for it though, don’t we?  So today, I’m going for it.  I’m letting him take the board out, under semi-close supervision.  I’m going to let him try his tricks, and I’m going to encourage him to keep trying his best.

If he falls, I’ll be there to congratulate him on trying, but keep encouraging him to get up and try again. 
 
If this skater boy falls HARD and lands himself a trip to the ER, well..  Then I’m taking the board away. 
For a while anyway. 
 
No matter how bad we've been hurt, we have got to keep pressing forward and trying again. 
 
Being cautious is okay, being full of fear is not.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer

Thank you for the L♥VE!