Fact: I want to keep improving myself and everything around
me for as long as I’m living.
One way I work to improve myself is by spending time in my Bible. Now that doesn’t always mean my actual
bible. That often times means using my Bible
app for 5 or 10 minutes (usually just 5) while I wait for whatever it is I’m
waiting for: food to cook, a kid to bring up their laundry, everyone to get to
the couch for movie night, a pot to boil, etc.
As easy as it is to sneak in Bible time just 5 minutes at a
time, it’s also equally as easy to let corrupt thoughts enter our minds, just
5 minutes at a time.
The thoughts I’m thinking of specifically are those of comparison.
Let me take a minute to admit that I'd like to think I’m writing this for all of
you and that I don’t have a problem here.
That’s just not true though, I do have a problem.
5 minutes on Pinterest suddenly makes me feel like I need to
paint something or tear out a wall in my home to open things up a bit, because
well, it looked good on Pinterest! Ugh, OMG, my home isn’t good enough! I am so embarrassed to live HERE.
5 minutes in a conversation with a friend about how they
talked to one of their friends and all of a sudden I’m feeling like OUR
friendship isn’t a true friendship. I mean how could be? Because everything they just said makes it
sound like they are so much closer with the other friend than they are with
me. Besides, that other friend finds out
everything way before I do. Hmm, I must
not be that important to her! I must be
boring because her conversation with so-and-so sounds so much
deeper/better/more fun than this one we are having! I give up trying.
5 minutes with my nose in a fashion magazine and I’m no
longer in love with the clothes in my closet that I loved so much the day I
bought them, or even yesterday for that matter! I am horrible at fashion, just
horrible! And I'm fat, but I'll worry about that when I'm done eating this eggless cookie dough.. OH brother, I need a stylist! Maybe I’ll get one of those online stylists to
do the shopping for me and send me things that will make me look amazing. Yeah, that'll fix it!
Followed by: Wait… I can’t
afford that. Oh how I hate that ALL our money goes so quickly each month. All my
friends are so perfect and rich because they NEVER have these thoughts or struggles like I do!
Oh their husbands must make $XXX,XXX for a salary.. and it goes ON AND ON AND ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
Girls, I don’t always
feel like this, but there are times I do.
It happens little by little. 5
minutes at a time. I think you probably
feel like this too occasionally. Maybe
we could just pray for each other to be content and happy with ourselves and
our current situations, whatever they are?
God Knows.
Little by little, just 5 minutes at a time, my bible tells me:
Not that we dare to classify or compare ourselves with some of those who are commending themselves. But when they measure themselves by one another and compare themselves with one another, they are without understanding.
Galatians 1:10 ESV
For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? Or am I trying to please man? If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.
Romans 12:2 ESV
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
Ephesians
2:8 AMP
For it
is by free grace (God’s unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from
judgment and made partakers of Christ’s salvation) through [your] faith.
And this [salvation] is not of yourselves [of your own doing, it came not
through your own striving], but it is the gift of God.
Philippians 2:3 ESV
Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Psalm 19:14New King James Version (NKJV)
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
Be acceptable in Your sight,
O Lord, my strength and my Redeemer
Thank you for the L♥VE!